Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Two Days in San Francisco: July 6, We Arrive

At the outset of this drive up the coast, I was very concerned about one thing: parking in San Francisco. Yet, Matt navigated us right to Kathleen and Willliam's home in the Castro District. (Kathleen was one of the more colorful members of our optometry school class. She is forever etched into my subconscious dancing like a mad woman to Mitch Ryder's "Devil in a Blue Dress". Life was so uncomplicated in those days.)

From Kathleen, I raised my feminist consciousness. She is so clear on her concepts of what is right and fair. Life, however, is not known for being fair. Life will beat you up and spit you out to see what you can take. Kathleen has a wonderful practice right on Castro Street. She and I are very different, but complimentary (at least I think so) personalities. She ALWAYS boosts me up when I'm with her. I wish I could do the same for her when she needs it.

Her son, William, is two months' younger than Matt. I have always wanted them to meet. More on that later.

[ An Aside: Interestingly, Michael Jackson died the day before we went on our vacation. It baffles me that he can still command headlines even two weeks after his death. Whazzup with that?!]

Matt and I found a close parking spot and grabbed it like we were native San Franciscans! As soon as we got our stuff inside, we went exploring the neighborhood.

This sign was the first thing that caught my eye in an antique store window on Castro Street.
Much else that was in the shop windows was nothing that my readers needed to see.
=)
I was checking up on Dr Kathleen's staff --note the person sitting in the chair. He moved not a bit the entire time I was there. I love the sunny air and the classsy furnishings.

Suddenly I realized that my window of opportunity was RIGHT NOW if I wanted to get to "Imagiknit"--a wonderful knitting store reputed to be the best in all of San Francisco. Kathleen is so lucky to live so close to it and she has never even been there! Whazzup with THAT?! At this point, Matt and I realized that, while it was about 3 pm, we had neglected lunch AGAIN. We happened upon Urban Bread, one of those wonderful neighborhood spots that are scattered all over major cities everywhere. I had a ham and cheese on a baguette, Matt had a chocolate croissant (bad mom!) and we picked up some goodies for breakfast the next day (loved those carrot ginger low fat muffins!) Urban Bread was right next door to Imagiknits. =)
Imagine THAT!

This is what you see when you enter Imagiknits. More than a little overwhelming.
I picked up some Manos del Uruguay for a hat for Matt.
Why is he skeptical of ever getting it done before winter??

The only way I could keep Matt occupied was to give him my camera. He is a close-up king.

It was a long walk back to KK's. Along the way, we passed Harvey Milk Civil Rights Academy. The side of the building had the most gorgeous and colorful paintings and glass mosaics.
This is a detail of quotes under glass on one of the mosaic walls.
Matt is pointing to his favorite: a basketball court.

One of the painting walls, with a portrait of Harvey Milk, the subject of the recent film, "Milk", starring Sean Penn (he won an Oscar for his depiction of Milk).

This is the mosaic wall from which the close-up above was taken. Please try to ignore Matt's face. It had nothing to do with the art behind him and more to do with the fact that his day, every day of this trip, was made ever so much longer by his mother stopping to take photos.
San Francisco is all up and down...and up and up and up...and then, down.
The hill up to KK's house is supposedly NOT the steepest in town...it only seemed that way!

It was a gorgeous sight to finally arrive at Kathleen and Willliam's home!
Only 26 steps up to the front door, but who's counting?
Tomorrow, July 7, we explore William's city with him as the expert tour guide!

No comments:

Post a Comment