Friday, July 3, 2009

Sports, Arts, and the Best Burger in the Southland

We spent Wednesday and Thursday night at Nikki and Jon's house in Hermosa Beach. I got to meet Brian, almost 17 now, for the first time. He was such a gracious host for Matt and I and hardly abused me a bit! Jon certainly knows his way around the kitchen. Before bed, he would check to see what time we would be getting up. Then, magically, there would be a full B&B breakfast awaiting us: fruit, wonderful rich black coffee, the best bagels: all beautifully presented. Not only that, but when I mentioned that I was having trouble with my iPod connector, the one that I need to use to listen to it in the rental car, he produced a "spare" stereo connector for me to take along on our ride...wow. Now THAT is some host!
Not that it took much arm-twisting, but when someone suggested that we might like to do the behind-the-scenes tour of Dodger Stadium, I knew that it would (ahem) mean a lot to MATT. Nikki and Brian and I arrived plenty early, so we had plenty of time to take photos and dream baseball dreams.

My Matt in front of the Dodger sign at the top of Chavez Ravine.
The only thing we did NOT get to see that I really wanted to see was the players' locker room. We DID get to see the Press Box and sit in the dugout. Both were very, VERY cool!

Who knew that the Babe was a Dodger at one time? Not me. It was only a very short time, but an interesting story! The Babe actually retired as a Dodger...

I got to see one of these games when the Dodgers won the World Series from the NY Yankees. What a great memory--sat right behind home plate, next to Smokey LaSorda and Jerry Vale! I think that, even as forgetful as I've become, I will always recall that game. This is the WS trophy that the Dodgers won that year. The game I saw sent the Series back to NY and that is where the Dodgers won the final game. Very cool for me to see this!


Why are there Braille letters on the Umpires' room at Dodger Stadium? Someone has a very sick sense of humor....hmmmm....

Wrightnour, live in "L" "A"! From the upper parking lot at Dodger Stadium, with the city skyline in the background.

The Kodak Theatre, where the Academy Awards take place: wow!

The Kodak Theatre has columns with years on them that have the Academy Award winning movies' names by their years....the years go up to the 2080s at least. It was fun to be there. Matt really wanted to see the Hollywood sign and be in Hollywood. That was nothing that had ever been my priority, so I had only been there one time, to see a friend. This WAS fun...Grauman's, Walk of Fame, Kodak Theatre, the impersonators...good job, Matt! And thank you, Nikki, for making our dreams come true, Hollywood-style!


Well, it was inevitable in Hollywood. We saw MJ photos taped to people's car windows in San Diego. We saw his name in shop windows. Here was the shrine over his star in the sidewalk in Hollywood. There was a gentleman whose only job was to keep folks moving. We saw his star. He was a very sad case. One wonders how it came to be that he got so "different".

Pirate Jack --Nikki warned me that we would be seeing a ton of characters.

She, once again, was right!

Charlie Chaplin and Bunny

Greta and I share the same birthday (and I vant to be alone sometimes too!)
Taking a photo of one of the myriad footprint squares at Graumann's

Matt: by the front doors of Graumann's Chinese Theater

All I heard about for weeks prior to our trip was wanting to be able to see the HOLLYWOOD sign: yes, Matt; dreams DO come true in Hollywood!


A new find! Beard Papa cream puffs! Thank you, Brian!

Am I taking too many photos of delicious food? Well, maybe...but it WAS delish! This was Nik's suggestion: Tender Greens in Culver City. Our veggie salad sampler was amazing. Matt had Caesar Chicken Salad. "WOW"
C'mon. Doesn't that look YUMMO?!
Nikki took care of the Studio Tour--this was awesome! We saw a real sound stage, we saw foley affects, sets, and, to hear Matt tell it, the best part was all the free stuff that they gave out at the end--tee shirt, ball cap, movie poster, Zohan hair-dryer squirt gun, Spider Man matchbox car, CD of movie mix songs (Super Bad), Men in Black Tatoos, a book mark for an upcoming feature (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs). Life is good. Our tour guide, Will, was great!
Sony Lobby: Matt with Will and Tommy Lee
A back lot set


I've heard nothing but good things about In & Out Burgers. (What? Food AGAIN?!) Well, let me tell you, all the hype is out there for a reason. They are FAB. Toasted bun, meat that tastes like MEAT, fresh veggies. I even tried a few fries. Worth it. So, so worth it!
We left the Nance/Humbarger/Lane home on Friday morning to make our way up the coast. What a wonderful time spent with a good friend. Matt was concerned that I might feel weird just imposing on someone I had lived with 25 or more years ago and not seen in the past 15 or 16 years. I told him it was not a problem...Nik was Nik and it would be fine. It was MORE than fine. The good stuff stays good. Thankfully!
[Now....when are these guys coming to Ohio to visit??]

1 comment: